Friday, March 16, 2012

The move...

These are a few of the pictures of our journey over to Australia and our first few days. Kevin has some better pictures of the plane ride that I will get on here soon. Besides our suitcases we were allowed to send 500lbs of our personal belongings. Sounds like a lot....but turned out that it's not. Below is what 500lbs looks like.
Saying goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa....
The first of 3 flights....kids were super excited, I think I was numb.
Carson fell asleep in the LA airport on the floor waiting to board for the 16 hour flight- we tried to keep him up but luckily he slept for almost 8 hours of the plain ride too.
Andrew loved the T.V.'s on the back of each seat. They were seriously so nice, I think I slept a total of an hour and a half on the flight so I was able to catch up on my chick flicks.

Our first sight of the Australian coast line...
Landing in Melbourne.....looks like...not what I had imagined :)
This is our 2 story plane. It was 10 seats and 2 isles wide.
This is the comforting big sign we saw in the airport.
Downtown Melbourne, pretty beautiful.
Many of the streets are lined with trees like this, it's beautiful.

Our new townhome- it really is beautiful and we feel quite comfortable in it. There is no yard just a little porch out back.

Carson- sleeping on an Ikea bed in the middle of the store. He and I had the hardest time adjusting to the time difference. There was a lot of shopping the first few days because we didn't ship any furniture over- it was cheaper to buy it here.
Instead of 50 cents for the little kiddie rides they are all a $2 coin, Kevin told them to enjoy the ride because it was the last one they were going to get while here. ;)

I was a little overwhelmed after the first grocery shopping trip. The butter comes in solid blocks of 500 grams (1.1 lbs) or in 1.5 grams (3.3 lbs), and the cheddar cheese is white! Medium cheddar is called Tasty Cheddar. I found the cheese at the end of the shopping trip and trying to adjust to all of the new brands and not finding just our normal basics I was....a little flustered. Kevin recalls me turning to him and saying "The cheddar is white here, I'm just not sure I can do this anymore- you pick out the dang cheese!" So much to take in the first week and I am still struggling with the easiest way to measure butter from a big block.

This picture doesn't give justice to how huge this block of butter is!
I took this picture in our travels...Idaho??? Nope....Australia.
More pictures to come!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The kids look like they are doing great! And I would have a hard time with white cheddar cheese too. :) I hope you are all doing well!

Kate Larsen said...

So glad to see some pics!!! Can't wait for the next round!

Woods: said...

Wow!!! I just cannot believe you're in Australia!!! What a trip to even get there! I'm exhausted just reading about your adventure! So glad you guys are there and getting settled, looks like the kiddos are happy! I agree with Kate, can't wait for the next round!

Nicole said...

I'm so glad to hear from you. Hope the adjustment continues to get easier. We miss you!

the webb family said...

I'm so glad that you were able to post some pictures. I love the ones of Carson sleeping in random places. We miss him at Joy School! Just think, when you come back it'll be hard adjusting to little sticks of butter :)